[Live-devel] '/' in streamName for rtsp server url?

Clem Taylor clem.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 19:41:37 PDT 2006

I'm trying to create a stream with a '/' in the url with live555 rtsp
server. I'm trying to emulate the rtsp url used in an Axis camera to
convince a third party software package to archive the video from the
live555 code. Axis uses the url 'rtsp://host/mpeg4/1/media.amp'. I can
connect to this URL on an Axis camera with vlc without problems. But
when I try to do the same with my live555 based rtsp server, vlc gets
a 'RTSP/1.0 404 Stream Not Found' from the DESCRIBE.

I'm calling ServerMediaSession::createNew() with "mpeg4/1/media.amp"
for the streamName. If I change the stream to "mpeg4=1=media.amp" then
everything is happy.

A '/' seems to be a valid character rtsp url according to rfc2326 and
rfc2396. Is there some issue with having a '/' in the streamName? Do I
need to so something special (like create ServerMediaSessions each of
the sub-paths) to get this to work?

I was using 2005.06.16 and updated to 2006.09.12 with similar results.

                                Thanks,
                                Clem