[Live-devel] Time Resolution and Accuracy ?

Jeremy jeremy at electrosilk.net
Wed Sep 20 00:06:05 PDT 2006

Hello Ross,

Can you please give an estimate as to what the timer resolution and
accuracy is for times generated or used in the code - in particular for
linux systems runing standard 2.6 kernel.

In various places in the code I see gettimeofday() being called to set a
presentation time for some data. Is that time accurate to the microsecond?
or some much larger value? In other cases a kernel driver will set a
presentation time - again how accurate is that time?

I also see in the UsageEnvironment code that you use a select function
with timeout - I think to set a precise delay for your scheduler. Is this
accurate - to the microsecond to allow the programe to contend for execution
- or is it some much larger value?

Thanks

Jeremy