[Live-devel] Looking for known working m4v file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 20 13:44:21 PDT 2006

See <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#m4v-file>

>   I've tried just
>about every m4v file I can lay my hands on and even converted some
>basic mpeg1 into mpeg4 with mp4creator and ffmpeg and none of it will
>stream from liveMedia to vlc.

These are not MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream files, so they won't work.

Unfortunately, Apple coopted (misused) the '.m4v' filename extension
to mean "MPEG-4 video contained within a MPEG-4 format file", rather
than "a MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream file", which is how everyone
else had been using the extension before.

Because of this confusion, I may end up changing the code to use the
extension ".m4e" (instead of ".m4v") to mean "a MPEG-4 Video
Elementary Stream file".