[Live-devel] Looking for known working m4v file

Tranzmatt tranzmatt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 07:39:42 PDT 2006

> Unfortunately, Apple coopted (misused) the '.m4v' filename extension
> to mean "MPEG-4 video contained within a MPEG-4 format file", rather
> than "a MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream file", which is how everyone
> else had been using the extension before.

Well, that would explain it.  So liveMedia can't handle the mpeg4
container/file format?  The reason I ask is that I've successfully
built liveMedia on a PPC board running VxWorks 5.5 and wanted
to use it to stream some processed video data off to a media client
like vlc.  The mp3/mpeg1or2 tests work fine, but I wanted to use
mpeg4 because of it's apparent ability to contain "tracks" of various types,
plus I really want to stream using only an intra-frame lossless codec,
so the whole DCT stuff in mpeg1/2 doesn't work for me.  Am I out
of luck in trying to use liveMedia?

Matt