[Live-devel] Ref: testOnDemandRTSPServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Sep 22 12:43:30 PDT 2006

>I'm not totally sure, but I'd like to suggest that the reason VLC does not
>even send a pause message is that the SDP for the TS that the LIVE server
>sends has no playtime showing.
>Note the line in SDP:  "a=range:npt=0-"  VLC possibly assumes the TS file
>is a live feed because there is no max time.  (When the SDP is sent for a
>PS demux, LIVE fills in the max time.)  As it is not very logical to pause
>a live feed, VLC would have the option disabled.

This is correct.  Our RTSP server implementation currently does not
calculate a max time for a Transport Stream file, and so does not
report one in the SDP description.  VLC therefore does not implement
the RTSP "PAUSE" command on the stream.

(In contrast, you'll notice that for some other file types - e.g.,
WAV - a max time is reported, and pausing in VLC works OK.)

This will be fixed around the end of the year when 'trick play'
support (seek, ff, rw) is added for Transport Stream files.