[Live-devel] HD MPEG2 TrickPlay

Jeff Furlong jlfurlong at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 09:39:56 PDT 2007

Is there a way that the MPEG2 TrickPlay stream that is generated can be generated in a way so that it will be streamed at the same bitrate as in normal playback mode?

The reason being is that we're testing with HD MPEG2 video streams (~20 Mbs) on a Moto/Sigma STB.  The stream is being delivered over UDP.  Playing back in normal mode is fine; however, once trickplay is initiated the STB is unable to handle the higher bitstream.  I've tested this with a Kasenna VOD server with the same file and the STB plays the trickplay stream back correctly.  When I sniffed the network I noticed that their TrickPlay stream is being sent at the same bitrate as the normal play stream.  I did modify the delivery time of the trickplay stream (packets) to be sent at the same rate as the normal playback - however, in this case I just got a black screen, which I'm assuming it had something to do with the timestamps.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on the best approach that I could achieve this?

Thanks,
Jeff