[Live-devel] VLC vs. mplayer

Jordan Shelley jps330 at psu.edu
Thu Aug 16 08:55:39 PDT 2007

Ross,

Quick question. I am using your library to stream an encoder output (set to
MPEG1) wirelessly from one computer to another using RTP. Real-time video is
very important in this project. When the stream is viewed with VLC the
picture quality is excellent, but the video latency is sub par (about a 1
second delay from real time). I checked the runtime messages on VLC while
the stream is being played and it is not dropping many frames or missing
packets. Mplayer on the other hand has a very low video latency (about a
quarter second) but the picture quality is horrible (lots of artifacts and
pixilation) and the video latency seems to "age" sometimes. Have you heard
of this before? Can you offer me any guidance on how to get VLCs latency
down (it seems as though it is buffering the video too much)? Thanks a lot.

-Jordan