[Live-devel] Queries: regarding AAC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Aug 16 13:18:35 PDT 2007

>1. I am unable to find any framer class ( as was used for
>MPEG4ESVideoStreamFramer ; as well as a corresponding parser) for
>the same. The issue is that I am using Live555 as an RTP packetizer
>for aac content and relaying it to Darwin which does the necessary
>RTSP part). So I cannot just use live555 as an RTSP server.

Yes you can.  You've just chosen not to. :-)

>  I want to know that just creating an RTP sink using the
>MPEG4GenericRTPSink ; then jusing the source
>ADTSAudioFileSource(which works from file/encoder) and then invoking
>startPlaying() is enough?

Yes.  See the "ADTSAudioFileServerMediaSubsession" for an illustration.

>Wouldn't I need a framer; which decides what is in an audio frame;
>has methods like continuePlaying(); getNextFrame() etc and processes
>it appropriately.

No, because "ADTSAudioFileSource" delivers discrete frames (and with
correct presentation times), so you don't need a separate 'framer'
class.

>2. In the MPEG4ESVideo Elementary streaming (relay to darwin)test
>program , there is a hack to read configuration information from the
>stream ; to generate an SDP description; and an announce RTSP
>operation is done. Does the hack need to be there for MPEG4 audio as
>well.. Similarily if I were to stream h264 video content, is this
>hack needed?

Probably, because both of those codecs have stream-specific
'configuration' information that needs to be added to the SDP
description, before it gets used.