[Live-devel] rtsp with a/v synchronization

mp lt mp_ca2005 at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 23 19:58:12 PDT 2007

Hi Ross,

Thank you for offering us this nice library to learn more about streaming.

I am just writing a test application for H.264 and AAC multicast streaming
with the help of FAQ and previous discussions. After some tests, I found some
problem with a/v synchronization that I can not understand.
I use the frame rate and sampling rate to put the right timestamps and time duration for every frame video and audio ( I can stream them seperately and receive them normally). However, when I stream them together(which include a rtsp server). I use rtsp protocol to get the a/v stream by VLC, I found the a/v is a bit of out of sync. The audio is always a little bit of behind video.
I am not sure whether this is related to I put the different timestamps for the first frame of video and audio since I use the gettimeofday for the first time.

Another interesting thing I found is that if the VLC can receive the first frame audio and video, the sync effect become much better(I did this by open the client VLC first, then start stream server), so I am guessing if there is some place in rtsp protocol to help the client synchronize the audio and video. I checked the rtsp protocol, it said In PLAY method, the Range header may help synchronization the media from different source. I can not understand how this works.

I would like to hear some idea about this issue.  Thanks a lot.