[Live-devel] SDP file format

hong liu l1436636 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 15:26:12 PDT 2007

Thanks Ross for your prompt reply!

> It wasn't clear to me from your description exactly how you are transmitting the stream that you are trying
> to receive/play, but if you want to receive/play a stream using only a SDP description, then the stream must
> be multicast, not unicast.  I.e., the following line in the SDP description is the problem:

> >c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0

The line of "c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0" in the sdp file was manually added by myself to the original sdp file created
by MP4Box since the original one didn't make mplayer work. Sorry about that causing you confused.

From your above-mentioned description, If I understand correctly, the stream must be multicast, not unicast.
Otherwise your program would stop proceeding. But in my sdp file, it doesn't specificy it is via multicast or
unicast, just UDP and its port number. Do I have to specificy it in my sdp file?

> Does your server support RTSP?  If so, then you should play the stream using a "rtsp://" URL, rather than
> by reading a SDP description directly.

My application scenario is that one server send stream via multicast to the clients using mplayer to receive
streaming videos. I have a simple video server to send mp4 video file out on a multicast address. I just have MP4Box to be used for generating sdp files. Do you think its created one is compatible with your program?

> If your server doesn't support RTSP, then you will need to change it to stream via multicast, and generate
> a new SDP description that contains the IP multicast address in the "c=" line.
Why it is required of the "c=" line again?

Thank you again!

that gives answers, not web links.