[Live-devel] Newbie question: Simple RTP/RTCP Server/Client implementation

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 5 05:47:17 PST 2007

>I'd just like to get a few pointers and want to know if I'm on the
>right track:
>So far it looks like I can base a simple test application on
>testMP3Streamer and testMP3Receiver?
>One major difference is that I want to control the sending of
>packets manually and it looks like the scheduler is taking care of
>it in the examples?

Not really.  Each packet gets sent whenever enough input data arrives
for it.  For the "testMP3Streamer" example, this happens because the
input data is coming from a "MP3FileSource" object.  In your
application, you would need to write your own "FramedSource" subclass
- to use instead of "MP3FileSource" - that encapsulates your input
source.  (See the FAQ for hints on how you might do that.)

You might also be interested in the "Morgan Multimedia RTP DirectShow
Filters" - http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/RTP/ - a third-party
product that uses the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software.