[Live-devel] Problem with VLC and wis-streamer

Bill Dolson bd at landform.com
Mon Dec 10 16:39:03 PST 2007

Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> The RTCP RRs are being sent, but apparently to the un-NATed local
>> network address of the server
>
> They should be getting sent to whichever server IP address was
> specified in the "rtsp://" URL, or - if a server domain name was
> specified instead - whatever IP address that domain name resolved to
> when it was looked up (via DNS).
>
> RTSP/RTP cannot reliably be expected to work across NATs.  (If you're
> behind a NAT, then you're not really on the Internet.)  Instead, you
> can ask for RTP-over-TCP streaming, which should work.

Ross, thanks for the reply.  So, it is a VLC bug correct?  (I'm just
trying to figure out which one to fix, actively developing with both).
Haven't read the RTSP RFC yet.

Using VLC the RTCP RRs are being sent to the local IP of the server, as
reported as the Content-Base in the DESCRIBE response and in the sdp.
Is this just plain wrong or is it following the letter of the RFC?

FFmpeg sends the RTCP RRs to the original IP specified in the rtsp://...
Is this right or a expedient NAT work-around?

I see no reason why RTP/UDP should not work through NATs.  I'm well
aware of the badness of NATs but it is an imperfect world we live in and
delivering video over TCP seems equally bad if not worse.

Best,
Bill