[Live-devel] question about ServerMediaSubsession

ruru605 ruru605 at 163.com
Sun Feb 11 04:46:06 PST 2007

Hi, everybody,
    I am a student and have just read the RFC of RTP,RTCP and RTSP. I am a rookie of live library. I started to read the code of this library and have some questions belows:

    1. In the test programmes, I wonder why they use PassiveServerMediaSubsession to create a new subsession and to begin streaming through "sessionState.sink->startPlaying(*sessionState.source, afterPlaying, NULL)"? And I found that inside of PassiveServerMediaSubssion we did nothing
about streaming.(Maybe I missed)
        In my opinion, RTSP is to control RTP(my understanding), so the situation should be like this: method startPlaying should be inside of ServerMediaSubssion so the streaming can be automatical. It seems that OnDemandServerMediaSubssion is doing so but I still don't quite understand.
    2. When I test testMP3Steamer, the unicast address is pretty good, however, when the address is multicast address such as 232.255.42.42, although I add USE_SSM inside of Makefile, client using VLC within windows does not work while within linux works.
        Why? I am puzzled.

Thanks and Regards
Kangaroo (nickname)

ruru605