[Live-devel] Regarding MP3 Streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Feb 17 16:12:23 PST 2007

>I was working on MP3 streaming code and what I understood is first
>an MP3 frame is converted to ADU and then again this ADU is
>converted to MP3 frame. Although I am still trying to understand the
>complete flow but can you tell me why we are doing this conversion
>from A -> B -> A . Is that just because to support trick mode or
>something else.

(I presume you're referring to the "MP3AudioFileServerMediaSubsession" code.)

Yes, the conversion MP3->ADU->MP3 is done in order to support 'trick
mode' - specifically, fast forward.  Because MP3 frames are not self
contained, it is not possible to implement Nx speedup on a MP3 stream
simply by extracting every Nth MP3 frame.  Instead, we need to first
convert to ADUs, apply the scaling on the ADUs, and then convert them
back to MP3 frames.

(For more information on MP3 ADUs, see
<http://www.live555.com/rtp-mp3/> and
<http://www.live555.com/rtp-mp3/rtp-mp3.txt>