[Live-devel] RTSPClient::describeURL authentication problems

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 19 14:48:32 PST 2007

>  > This suggests that the real solution would be to change the VLC code
>>  to call "describeWithPassword()" rather than "describeURL()".  Or,
>>  even better, call "describeWithPassword()" iff the user supplied a
>>  (username,password), otherwise call "describeURL()".
>
>This requires changing both live555 and vlc since vls depends on the
>ability to pass kassena flag to describeUrl and there is no such
>option in describeWithPassword.

Yes - I will shortly be updating the LIVE555 code to add a 'kasenna'
flag to "describeWithPassword()", and then submit a patch to VLC to
use "describeWithPassword()" instead of "describeURL()" (if there are
already username,password strings), and to not pass its own
'authenticator' object.

In the meantime, you can get authentication to work for your streams
by *not* including the "username:password@" hack in the URL, but
instead waiting for VLC's authentication dialog box to pop up, and
then enter the username,password there.