[Live-devel] Help: cause of RTP packet loss

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Mon Feb 26 13:00:50 PST 2007

So I suspect that occasionally, on your OS, writes to a file are
blocking for a sufficient amount of time

Re:  Thanks! this points out something i knew but had forgotten about.  I
was trying to write to a NFS location.  Once I changed to writing to the
localfs this packet loss went away on my fedora 5 host computer.

Anyway, you can test this hypothesis by running
             openRTSP -v rtsp://whatever > /dev/null

Re:  On my target powerpc I still see lost packets from RTCP when writing
to /dev/null.  I have just learned that my powerpc does not have DMA, but I
am told the write speed "should be fast enough".  I have tested that my
target disk can be written fast enough by using it in the fedora 5
computer.

I'll have to figure out what is wrong with the powerpc here, but I wanted
to reply to this on the mail list just incase someone else makes the same
mistake as I did so they won't spend time figuring out that they are
writing to NFS. :)

How can I find out / figure out recommended system requirements for the
streaming I am trying to do?  I want to send a 5 Mbps TS stream to my
powerpc, how can I learn what I need as minimum for processor, ram, etc. on
this and other embedded targets?  I would like to be able to predict how
many simultaneous streams my powerpc box could handle. (Hopefully, DMA can
be enabled and that could boost this number?)

Thanks again for all your help!
Xochitl