[Live-devel] Transport header VLC client

Ashutosh Dutta adutta at research.telcordia.com
Wed Feb 28 19:48:50 PST 2007

Ross,
      I think we can still have a mechanism, where the client can make
unicast RTSP request and provide the desired multicast transport address
as part of SETUP request if the client knows ahead of time about the set
of multicast addresses the RTSP server is provisioned with and the
associated stream for each of the multicast address.

I can think of using something like SAP or some other out-of-bound
mechanism where the client becomes aware of  that multicast address it
needs to put in as  destination addr in its SETUP request. Thus, RTSP
server can act like Video-on-Demand server, and with some advanced
knowledge of the multicast address, client can make use of this
transport header option to get a specific desired stream.

I agree that, this specific feature would be useful only for the cases
where a group of people would like to watch the same video,(i.e, all the
members in a family or all the members of a department)but, only one
member of the family (head of the family) or the department (department
head) has the control for starting the video or stopping it.

Thanks
Ashutosh