[Live-devel] Initial support for server 'trick play' operations on Transport Stream files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 3 09:51:02 PST 2007

>  >To support 'trick play' operations on a Transport Stream file, the
>>server must have a corresponding "index file".
>
>My server is doing transcoding from MPEG2 PS file to TS stream on the fly,
>exactly as described by you in recent posts.  I can't use this
>implementation of trick mode then, can I?

If you're streaming from a live source (regardless of the media
type), then obviously you can't support 'trick play' operations at
all.

If your source data is a MPEG-2 Program Stream *file* - rather than a
MPEG-2 Program Stream live source - then, to support 'trick play',
you would need to convert your file, in advance, to a Transport
Stream file.  You could then create an index file from the Transport
Stream file, as I described in my earlier message, and then stream
from the Transport Stream file (plus the index file).  I.e., don't
convert from a Program to a Transport Stream file on the fly, but
instead do it in advance.