[Live-devel] Initial support for server 'trick play' operations on Transport Stream files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 9 14:01:10 PST 2007

>1. "RTSP server code itself does not yet support Transport Stream "trick
>play" operations". Has this change now been introduced in the latest Live's
>release?

Yes, as of the latest release (2007.01.09).  I'll be documenting and
saying more about this shortly.  (In the meantime, I suggest
reviewing my previous message about this - where I described the new
'Transport Stream index files'.)

>2. I had been using 2006.12.08, downloaded from Live555's website to stream
>a MPEG2-TS. I set Live555 as the server on SuSE Linux 10.0 and VLC 0.8.6 as
>a client on Windows. However, I had the following observations:
>
>>>TS video comes after a 'long wait' from the start while audio goes well in
>track right from the beginning.

This may be a VLC issue - e.g., perhaps it takes a while to recognize
the video stream...

>The TS is being streamed though it is not being paused.
>'Play fast' functionality is not working thoroughly since after moving fast
>for a while, the video stops.

Trick play functions (like 'fast forward') will work only with the
latest release of the software, and only if you have an index file
for each Transport File that you're streaming.  (Also, the VLC client
currently doesn't appear to perform the 'trick play' operations
properly; the VLC people will need to fix this.  However, other
clients - such as the Amino set-top box - work OK.)