[Live-devel] raw/udp in rtsp multicast setup

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 26 06:16:57 PST 2007

>In the related update to the changelog, you note that multicast RAW/UDP is
>nonstandard. What's the reference for that?

*All* RAW/UDP streaming (not just multicast) is non-standard, because
it has never been defined in a RFC.  Also, it can only work for media
types - like MPEG Transport Stream data - that includes its own
timestamp information (so that the timestamp in the RTP header is not
strictly needed).

Despite not being a standard, RAW/UDP streaming (for MPEG Transport
Stream data only) is requested by some prominent RTSP clients (most
notably Amino set-top boxes), and therefore we (reluctantly) support
it in our RTSP server implementation.  All new RTSP clients, however,
should request standard RTP streaming only.