[Live-devel] ServerMediaSession.patch

Andrew Voznytsa andrew.voznytsa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 08:13:46 PST 2007

Ross Finlayson wrote:
>>  > (BTW, I don't understand why you're dealing with the Darwin Streaming
>>>  Server at all.  We have a perfectly good RTSP server implementation
>>>  (that uses the "ServerMediaS(ubs)ession" objects that you're
>>>  creating), so you should just use that.  In any case, if you really
>> I did not fully explain what my software is. You can think about as
>> DirectShow-based encoder application, which can use file or capture
>> device as media source, encode content into specified format, save it
>> into file or push to network (unicast/multicast) describing streamed
>> content using SDP file. In network case _any_ client, which supports
>> initialization through .sdp file, could be used to receive broadcast.
>
> That's true only for multicast streams.  For unicast streams, a
> client cannot just 'read a SDP file'; it *must* use the RTSP protocol
> to (i) get the SDP description, and
All info required to configure client to receive streams is already in
SDP (in my case or in case of applications similar to mine, see Helix
Mobile Producer for example)

(ii) tell the server which IP
> address and port numbers it should send the stream to.  (But a client
> can also use RTSP to receive a multicast stream, so you might as well
> use RTSP in either case.  I'm not aware of any client that can read a
> SDP file, but which doesn't also support RTSP.)
Before starting to encode my application is configured with destination
IP, port and ttl. This info is saved into SDP for clients.

> If you plan on supporting unicast transmission (especially if you
> want to support multiple concurrent clients), then you definitely
> need a RTSP server, and it's much better to use our server
> implementation than to have to rely upon a separate 'Darwin' server.
In my specific case using separate Darwin server is better.
Just two reasons:
a) customer is paying for this
b) there is pre-built network with already configured and tested
streaming servers. Why to change something there? My solution does not
affect anything in network configuration, especially security issues.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Voznytsa