[Live-devel] minimum inter-packet delay

Dong Hoon Van Uytsel donghoon.vanuytsel at esaturnus.com
Fri Jul 6 01:07:14 PDT 2007

Hello Ross & list,

I have a linux application send uncompressed frames using the liveMedia
library; with wireshark I'm measuring 17 microseconds between successive
packets (sized 1490 bytes, of the same image frame) being sent, which
boils down to instantaneous bandwidth consumption of 700 Mb/s. In this
configuration, several packets are lost at some receivers. I've already
tried increasing the UDP sending and receiving buffers - but this
doesn't solve the packet loss.

A temporary work-around seems to increase the interpacket gap to 30
microseconds by inserting a few fprintf()s in sendPacket() in
RTPInterface.cpp. However, isn't there a cleaner solution to specify the
minimum inter-packet gap in liveMedia?

Best regards
Dong Hoon Van Uytsel