[Live-devel] MPEG2TransportStreamRTPSource and testMPEG2TSreceiver: not quite right...

Russell Brennan rjbrennn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:06:21 PDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

>  Do you have a specific reason to not use openRTSP to receive transport
> streams?  testMPEG2TransportStreamer has an optional RTSP server in it.
>
> I think instead of making MPEG2TransportStreamRTPSource, you should set up
> the chain like this:
>
> SimpleRTPSource -> MPEG2TransportStreamFramer -> FileSink
>

> Actually, you won't need to insert a "MPEG2TransportStreamFramer", because
> its main purpose is to extract presentation times from the transport stream,
> and you won't need those if you're just outputting to a "FileSink".
>

> You can create a "RTPSource" for receiving a MPEG Transport/RTP stream by
> calling
>         SimpleRTPSource::createNew(envir(), rtpGroupsock, 30,
>                                                 90000, "video/MP2T", 0,
> False);

xcsmith,  I am not using RTSP because I am actually integrating this into an
existing software framework, and the openRTSP app seems to be much more
functionalty than I want or need.  I actually haven't really looked at the
code though.

Ross, I used a SimpleRTPSource::createNew(envir(), rtpGroupsock, 33, 90000,
"video/MP2T", 0, False);
source as you suggested, but with 33 as my payload type ( I believe this is
what you meant).  This worked right off the bat, but playing my captured
stream back out to RTP and then playing the stream in VLC, I get a lot of
intermittent video freezing, especially when my video (playing on loop)
repeats at the beginning.  However, using VLC to save this stream to file
yields perfect playback when I open it up later in VLC.  Very strange.  This
sounds like a VLC issue to me, do you concur or is there something that I
might need to incorporate in order to get playback working smoothly?  I
can't imagine what data I might be missing that would cause VLC trouble with
playing while capturing, but no trouble while capturing to file.

~Russell