[Live-devel] High peaks in processing times

Julian Lamberty julian.lamberty at mytum.de
Wed Jul 11 05:14:15 PDT 2007

Hi!

I've developed a class to transcode video streams. I measure the time
between "doGetNextFrame()" and "afterGetting(this)" with the
gettimeofday() function. The results show that it takes in average 40ms
to complete one frame (according to the frame rate of 25Hz). But
irregularily one frame takes more than 120ms which seems to be
"compensated" in the next frames. The transcoding time is far below 40ms
for each frame. Sample:

39.88ms
39.79ms
39.84ms
40.23ms
40.00ms
39.11ms
124.25ms (peak)
17.79ms (shorter periods)
17.87ms
17.54ms
20.20ms
38.52ms (back to normal)
39.76ms

What could this come from? I'm using Fedora Linux, is there maybe a
kernel/user switch or anything similar involved?

Thanks
Julin