[Live-devel] RTCP and synchronization

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jul 12 09:24:54 PDT 2007

>Ok, but I still don't get how the final recipient gets to know the
>*original* presentation time (which correspond to audio) if I generate a
>new one in the transcoder...

Each incoming frame (from your "RTPSource" object) has an accurate
presentation time, which you know (because it's passed as a parameter
to your "afterGetting...()" function).  If your transcoder works by
translating each incoming frame into a corresponding new transcoded
frame, then it should simply assign each transcoded frame the
presentation time from its corresponding incoming frame.  (Note,
though, that if the incoming frames contain B-frames, but the
transcoded frames don't, then the sequence of transcoded frames will
not exactly match the sequence of incoming frames, and you should
reorder the presentation times accordingly.)

If, however, your transcoder does *not* work by translating each
incoming frame into a corresponding new transcoded frame, then things
are more complicated.

But in any case, you're on your own from now on...