[Live-devel] Performance

Marc Neuberger mjn at oxysys.com
Fri Jun 1 14:59:47 PDT 2007

Ross Finlayson wrote:
> No, that's not correct.  The RTSP server implementation's 'liveness
> check' timer gets rescheduled only after the receipt of an incoming
> *RTCP packet* (or an incoming RTSP command) - not on every (or any)
> outgoing packet.

Ah good, that makes a great deal more sense.
> However, I don't want to use the STL,
> because I don't want to make the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" dependent
> upon it (because I want this code to continue to be useful for (e.g.)
> embedded systems that are relatively memory constrained, or which
> might not have the STL available for other reasons).

Yeah, that makes sense, too. I certainly wouldn't attempt to write the
equivalent of the STL class (a Red-Black tree) myself. I agree that the
current implementation is perfectly fine for most uses. Largely, I'm
offering a tip to others that may find themselves in my situation about
where to look for performance.
> At some point, I should get rid of these (few) remaining blocking
> socket reads, and remove the "select()" call from "readSocket()".
> Actually, as you're just running a RTSP server, you can probably
> remove the "select()" call right now.  You could give that a try, to
> see if it improves performance on your system.

Yes, I did this. The figures of 400-500 sessions I quoted had the call
to blockUntilReadable commented out.

Marc Neuberger