[Live-devel] Performance of the RTSP server/client

david.rignac at free.fr david.rignac at free.fr
Mon Jun 18 03:02:49 PDT 2007

First, all congratulations for Live555.

But, I have no performance that I will hope. I develop an embedded
application running under Linux 2.6.19 with a processor at 260MHz
(with 128Mo DDR2 memory) and I would like use liveMediaServer as
RTSP server and multiple openRTSP as RTSP clients. (I have modified
playCommon.cpp to create the output file with a name "dd-mm-yy-video-MP2T-1").

The RTSP server and the RTSP clients are running on the same
processor (on the board).

The first step is to start the liveMediaServer and start only 1
openRTSP application ("./openRTSP rtsp://ip-address/file1.ts").
The result is good : a complete video output file and less than 2%
of CPU used during the streaming and recording.
The second step is to start 8 openRTSP applications.
The result is bad : 8 incomplete video output files and 100% of CPU used.

Is is normal ? What is the origin of problem : live555 or hardware configuration
?
What is the mimimal configuration to stream 8 video files ?

Thanks