[Live-devel] presentationTime and B-Frames

Julian Lamberty julian.lamberty at mytum.de
Fri Jun 29 07:22:54 PDT 2007

Hi!

I'm transcoding MPEG-2 (with B-Frames) into MPEG-4 (without B-Frames,
just I and P). Currently I'm just transcoding video, but later the
transcoded streams should by able to be synchronised with the source's
audio stream:

     --------> Audio --------------------------------
 ------------                                     ------
|   Source   |                                   | Sink |
 ------------                                     ------
    |                             ------------       |
     --------> Video ---------> | Transcoder | ------
                                  ------------

The problem is setting the timestamps correct. Right now I generate them
when a frame enters the encoder. But then I lose the information of the
incoming frame and won't be able to sync to audio later on, right?

When I just pass the times through by setting fPresentationTime =
presentationTime, the transcoded streams "flickers" as if the frames are
presented in the wrong order.

Is there a possibility to set the presentation times in a way without
losing the ability to sync to the corresponding audio stream?

Thank you
Julian