[Live-devel] RSTP Server Mods - opening files & transcoding

Alexander Cameron alex.cameron at digitaltx.tv
Sat Jun 30 13:51:52 PDT 2007

Hi - my first post on the live developer mailing list, and i think my
questions should be fairly simple to answer (i've been looking through the
archives and FAQ but they haven't been covered there it seems). We've been
using the MediaServer for a few weeks now and its been brilliant. There are
a couple of quirks i'd like to iron out in it though and was wondering if
someone could point me in the right direction so i can alter the source code
and re-compile it in the way i want it to function. I know these things are
rarely as simple as that and despite not having a whole lot of C++ knowledge
i'm wiling to give it a go (or get a friend to tweak it for me).

a) How can i stream file names with spaces in them? (e.g. rtsp://<ip>/i am a
file.ts instead of rtsp://<ip>/file.ts)
b) Is it possible stream file outside the working directory or create
virtual paths?
c) Ideally i'd like to be able to drag and drop files into a directory and
transcode them on the fly to any format i set, in the same way it can be
done with VLC manually. I know this has been covered before but could
someone give me an overview how VLC's engine or something like FFMpeg could
be integrated with the live RTSP server to achieve this so streams are
served and transcoded on-demand?

Thanks in advance - apologies for any avoidable ignorance.

Alex