[Live-devel] RTCP "BYE" command

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 2 02:26:45 PST 2007

>Hi ,
>Thanks for your support !
>In your letter you mentioned that Servers usually use the RTCP "BYE"
>command - which we support - to inform the client of the end of the
>stream.
>Dose Darwin Server support it ?

I don't know; you'll have to ask them.  (This mailing list is not for
the "Darwin Streaming Server" - that's Apple's software, not ours.)

However,  *our* RTSP server implementation (e.g, as used in the
"LIVE555 Media Server") *does* send RTCP "BYE" packets when the
stream ends, but only for media types for which 'seeking' is not
supported.  (For those media types, the server keeps the session open
after the stream ends, in case the client wants to replay it from an
earlier time.)

>In the openRTSP program, it set
>subsession->rtcpInstance()->setByeHandler(subsessionByeHandler ,
>subsession) , so at the end of stream , program will close down
> session and exit immediately . But, in fact it does not do it !

This code works correctly, *if* the server sends a RTCP "BYE" packet.
You can test this by running "openRTSP" with the "-V" option (to
specify verbose output).