[Live-devel] track synchronization with live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 14 08:30:30 PDT 2007

>I know live555 library uses RTCP SR reports to synchronize audio and
>video streams, but doesn't use the rtp-info header present in the
>PLAY response.

It does, however, make this header information available for clients
to use - see "MediaSession.hh".

You're correct, though, that the RTP-Info header information is the
only way to generate a proper presentation time for RTP packets that
arrive before the first RTCP SR packet.  The VLC developers (in
particular, Derk-Jan Hartman) tell me that they are currently
modifying VLC to use the RTP-Info header information upon
initialization.  At some point I should probably modify the LIVE555
"RTSPClient" code to do this automatically, so that each client
application developer doesn't have to deal with this himself.

Note, though, that not all RTP receivers use RTSP (or SIP) for
set-up, and so not all will have "RTP-Info" information available.
These receivers must be prepared to deal with inaccurate presentation
times prior to the arrival of the first RTCP SR.