[Live-devel] track synchronization with live555

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 21 10:58:53 PDT 2007

***This will be my last posting on this thread.  Please do not bother
responding, unless you don't mind hearing nothing more back from me
about this.***

I think you're misunderstanding what it is that the "LIVE555
Streaming Media" library is intended to deliver to higher-level code
(such as media players).  In this case, it intends to deliver exactly
the information that is provided by the RTP/RTCP and RTSP protocols.
In particular, it provides:

1/ A presentation time, in the sender's clock, which is accurate
after the first RTCP "SR" packet is received.  (Unfortunately, but
unavoidably, it's not accurate before this time; however, the library
also provides a Boolean function that tells you when the presentation
times have become accurate.)

2/ The information that's delivered - by the server - in the
"RTP-Info" header.  Note that it provides the *exact* information
that the server delivers.  It doesn't do any translation on this
information; that's not the job of the LIVE555 library.

It's up to the higher-level code (such as yours) that uses the
LIVE555 libraries to make use of this raw information, however it
sees fit.

Note, however, that these two pieces of information - the
presentation time, and the RTP-Info header - are only loosely related
(see section 12.33 of RFC 2326).  In particular, the RTP-Info header
information is certainly not intended to ever replace the
synchronized presentation time that's provided by RTCP SR.  If you
wish, you can use the RTP-Info information to map the presentation
time to NPT (using a fixed offset, which you can compute once the
first RTCP SR arrives ).  But you shouldn't just ignore the
presentation time, and think that you can just use the RTP-Info
information, plus the RTP timestamps in each packet, to generate your
own substitute 'presentation times'.  You can't do this, especially
if you want to guarantee A/V synchronization over time.