[Live-devel] Streaming non-standard JPEGs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 22 02:02:29 PDT 2007

>  >>But unfortune, it does not solve problem. Because I must
>  >>use same qtables on both server and client side.
>>>

>>That's not a problem, because the quantization tables - because they
>>are non-standard - are carried within the RTP packets.  I.e., the
>>server tells the client(s) which quantization tables are used for
>>each image.
>>

>Thanks Ross, it's what I need! One more question. If I would like to
>send additional data along with JPEG frame, for example camera name,
>which frame was captured or something else.. Can I use "RTP header
>extensions" (does liveMedia support this?) or is there other way?

I don't recommend using RTP header extensions (our library doesn't
really support these).

Instead, it would be better to include this information in the JPEG
header itself.  (This way, it will get included in the JPEG image if
the receiver saves it to disk.)  I believe that the JPEG standard
allows for this sort of information to be included in the JPEG header
(but I don't know the details).