[Live-devel] possible candidate for patch (Groupsock.cpp)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 30 08:01:03 PDT 2007

>>Yes, it's OK - although I'm very sceptical about it having a
>>significant effect on performance.  Your change doesn't save much
>>more than a function call.
>>
>Well, it's really more than a function call. Look at the attached
>picture (output from valgrind). Here's details of what I streamed:
>1) JPEG file size  ~ 106 kb;
>2) Framerate ~30 fps
>As you see from picture "Groupsock::output" was invoked 23 242 times
>(in generally it's ~10 sec of streaming). Next 3 lines are our
>interest. Because "ourSourceAddressForMulticast" invoked every time
>we have 7 206 890 calls of "our_random" function.

There's your real problem.  Apparently
"ourSourceAddressForMulticast()" is not working properly for you.
(If it's working properly, then the static variable "ourAddress "
will be set to a non-zero value the first time it's called, and then
just used on each subsequent call.)

So, your next job is to go through the code for
"ourSourceAddressForMulticast", to figure out why it's not working
properly for you.  (It's usually because you don't have multicast
configured properly on your network interface.)