[Live-devel] RTSP Server Response Codes

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Tue May 8 16:30:10 PDT 2007

Ross,

(You know this, but I'm writing it down as a basis for my question..)
The LIVE555 RTSP Server returns the following response codes:
200 OK
400 Bad Request
405 Method Not Allowed
404 Stream Not Found
461 Unsupported Transport

Each time any of the 400 "class" error codes is returned, fSessionIsActive
is set to False and the session is deleted.

Q:  What is the point of having all kinds of fancy response codes available
if all errors are unrecoverable and the session is terminated as a result?
If I am watching my movie, and decide in the middle that I want to send
SET_PARAMETER to the server, and the server says "405" back to me, why
should that kill my movie?  I can see why 404 and 461 could terminate the
session, because the server would always be in the INIT state when
returning these error codes.  But 400 and 405 could be returned in any
state.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.
xochitl