[Live-devel] raw video over rtp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 9 10:56:06 PDT 2007

>On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 19:57 -0400, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>>  >Hello all,
>>  >
>>  >I'm interested in sending raw video over RTP using the liveMedia lib,
>>  >following RFC4176. Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations?
>>  >At first sight it looks reasonable to subclass the SimpleRTPSink and
>>  >SimpleRTPSource classes for this purpose.
>>
>>  Actually, you would probably subclass "MultiFramedRTPSink/Source"
>>  (but in a way similar to the way that "BasicRTPSink/Source" is
>>  defined).
>
>I am experiencing quite a high percentage of UDP packet loss (about
>10%). Are there any tweaks in the liveMedia lib that I may have
>overlooked?

At the sending end, make sure you're sending out your packets
correctly spaced apart.  In particular, make sure that you're setting
"fDurationInMicroseconds" correctly in whatever data source you're
feeding into your "MultiFramedRTPSink" subclass.

At the receiving end, you can try calling "increaseReceiveBufferTo()"
to increase the OS's internal UDP reception buffer beyond it's usual
value (50 kBytes).  (See the VLC code ("live555.cpp") for an example
of this.)

If you're still seeing packet loss despite this, then it's probably
occurring on the network.