[Live-devel] Streaming Speed Limited for HD files?

Hernandez, Fernando fherna04 at harris.com
Wed May 16 13:33:23 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I have a Live 555 media server up and running, and am using openRTSP to
stream a video file from it.  The video file in question is a 2 MB/sec
high definition transport stream mpg file, but the data only comes in at
a maximum data rate of about .95 MB/sec.  Has anyone ever encountered a
problem like this before?

Curiously, I have tried different video files (1.5 MB/sec and 2.35
MB/sec) and they also max out at .95 MB/sec.  I have also tried using
VLC media player to stream the data but it still comes in at the slower
rate.  I have also opened multiple streams at the same time, and each
one of them individually maxes out at .95 MB/sec.  It would appear that
the streams are being limited in software somehow, as the drive,
network, and CPU power is enough to support at least 15 - 20 MB/sec of
throughput.  Help!

Note: by MB I mean megabyte, not megabit.  The 2 MB/sec file corresponds
to 16 megabit/sec

-Fernando