[Live-devel] Streaming Speed Limited for HD files?

Hernandez, Fernando fherna04 at harris.com
Tue May 22 06:11:33 PDT 2007

Curiously, I've recently discovered that VLC does indeed work properly
(I had incorrectly reported that it didn't work properly in my first
message).  I can stream video when I connect the server directly to a
windows PC running VLC and there are no problems.  It seems the culprit
is openRTSP.

I have run openRTSP using the -Q option and have obtained the following
results:

On a 54 second, 20.5 megabit/sec (2.56 megabyte/sec) file:

begin_QOS_statistics
server_availability     100
stream_availability     100
subsession      video/MP2T
num_packets_received    49321
num_packets_lost        49688
elapsed_measurement_time        54.000413
kBytes_received_total   64906.436000
measurement_sampling_interval_ms        1000
kbits_per_second_min    9142.692492
kbits_per_second_ave    9615.694754
kbits_per_second_max    14046.087149
packet_loss_percentage_min      9.858204
packet_loss_percentage_ave      50.185337
packet_loss_percentage_max      54.291732
inter_packet_gap_ms_min 0.656000
inter_packet_gap_ms_ave 1.094857
inter_packet_gap_ms_max 6.700000
end_QOS_statistics

On a 102 second, 18.59 megabit/sec (2.32 megabyte/sec) file:

begin_QOS_statistics
server_availability     100
stream_availability     100
subsession      video/MP2T
num_packets_received    93407
num_packets_lost        94021
elapsed_measurement_time        102.000721
kBytes_received_total   122923.612000
measurement_sampling_interval_ms        1000
kbits_per_second_min    8721.029974
kbits_per_second_ave    9640.999459
kbits_per_second_max    14157.979671
packet_loss_percentage_min      8.813559
packet_loss_percentage_ave      50.163796
packet_loss_percentage_max      59.776767
inter_packet_gap_ms_min 0.637000
inter_packet_gap_ms_ave 1.091995
inter_packet_gap_ms_max 75.330000
end_QOS_statistics

For the test I am running I need to use openRTSP to prove that a certain
bit rate is being achieved.  Do you have any suggestions as to what may
be wrong?

-Fernando