[Live-devel] New "LIVE555 Streaming Media" release - works around QuickTime Player bug

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 23 10:18:47 PDT 2007

If you are using our RTSP server implementation, and anticipate
having QuickTime Player as your client, then you should upgrade to
the latest version (2007.05.22) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media"
software (or, the latest version of the "live555MediaServer"
binaries, if you are using those).

It turns out that recent versions of QuickTime Player have a bug that
causes it (in some circumstances) to not send RTCP "RR" packets.
Because our RTSP server (like many others') uses incoming RTCP "RR"
packets as a stream 'keep-alive', this bug was causing streams to
time out.

The latest version of the LIVE555 code contains a work-around that
bypasses the QuickTime Player problem.  (Thanks to Dave Singer et al
at Apple for tracking down this problem.)