[Live-devel] Transport header VLC client

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Fri May 25 13:59:43 PDT 2007

In any case, to use your example, it's bad design for the RTSP
*clients* to be deciding which multicast address each server should
be using, not merely because it relies upon the server having this
ability enabled.  It makes far more sense for each *server* to choose
(or be assigned) its multicast address, in advance (when it starts
up), in order to avoid conflicting with the multicast address(es)
used by other server(s) on the same network.  In general, it's the
servers that will know this, not the clients (which might be on a
completely separate network, and administered separately).

Re: Ok, so then what if I use SSM?  Does that help any of these problems?

Also,
what if you want to have more than one client play the same stream
(which I imagine that you do, given that you are using multicast)?
How does the first client know that it should choose a destination
multicast address itself, and how do the second (and subsequent)
clients know that they should, instead, use the multicast address
that the first client has already given to the server?

Re: Lol! I don't know, I could not get out of this requirement. :(

So, I implement like this: If the user really, really wants to use the
multicast address he/she likes best, and the server isn't able to deliver
the data to that address, then the session fails.  A user that doesn't
care about the address gets the default which I specified for the server,
thanks to your recommendation.

I thought that in RTSP if you specify the Transport Parameters in SETUP,
the RTSP server is only supposed to *try* to give you the Transport you
want if the server is able to.  But the SETUP response is what really
tells you what the server is going to give you.  I know in the LIVE that
the MediaSession is configured/initiated using the SDP, but I suppose I
could try to read the Transport response and go back and change the
MediaSession if any of the changes can be done after the subsessions are
initiated.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Xochitl