[Live-devel] Multicast Interface Addr (solution)

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Thu May 31 08:19:29 PDT 2007

Thanks for your response, but I don't think this fixes the problem.  Why
bother setting the Sending- and ReceivingInterfaceAddr at all if you are
going to get the address using multicast loopback first? When I try this
in my system with multicast enabled on eth1 and eth0, the multicast
loopback selects eth0 as the interface and eth1 is not able to receive
multicast data.  The work around I was using previously was to remove the
multicast route from eth0, but in my target, all NICs will have multicast
enabled.

Ross, David:

Please solve this problem in the following way:

GroupsockHelper.cpp line 105 (hopefully) -
Function: setupDatagramSocket()
- MAKE_SOCKADDR_IN(name, ReceivingInterfaceAddr, port.num());
+ MAKE_SOCKADDR_IN(name, 0, port.num());

The call to bind() allows all datagrams sent to the port number to be
received when the address = INADDR_ANY, as described here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B9106-90013/IP.7P.html
Binding to the ReceivingInterfaceAddr will allow unicast data to be