[Live-devel] issue with a streaming server having multiple network interfaces

Marc Neuberger mjn at oxysys.com
Tue Nov 13 21:08:13 PST 2007

Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> I have tried it (I am having problems with a multiple-interface
>> machine). It seems to get halfway there: We now compute the
>> Content-Base URL appropriately (and source= element in the RTSP
>> SETUP reply [though the o= line of the SDP still has a different IP
>> address. This may be appropriate, I don't have a clear idea of how
>> it is used, if at all.]. However, the RTP and RTCP packets come from
>> the "wrong" IP address, i.e. not necessarily the IP address of the
>> interface that the connection was made to.
>>
>> It seems that some firewalls block all of the UDP traffic under
>> these circumstances. The UDP sockets need to be bound to the
>> appropriate interface, rather than INADDR_ANY, to ensure that they
>> come from the correct IP address.
>>

> You can do this by modifying your code to set
> "ReceivingInterfaceAddr" at the start.

The problem is that I want to be able to accept RTSP connections from
*all* of the interfaces. So the UDP sockets need to be bound on a
per-connection basis, depending on what interface the RTSP came in on.
If I understand correctly, ReceivingInterfaceAddr is a static global, so
it would set the interface once and for all.

Marc Neuberger