[Live-devel] about duration time

Chang,Yi-Wen chang.yiwen at tw.panasonic.com
Sun Nov 18 22:46:01 PST 2007

Dear,

>>I supposed the duration time is the time of successive frames to be sends.

> Yes.

>>But, I view MultiFramedRTPSink.cpp code, the duration time is used
>>to calculate the time at which the next packet is sent.
>>  If so, what should I consider to calculate the duration time?

>Because you are streaming from a live source, each frame will not be
>delivered until the time that it's ready to be streamed.  In this
>case, it's OK to not set "fDurationInMicroseconds" at all.

In fact, I have a need that is to send some control packets during frames, not disturb original RTP traffic.
So I need to set duration time even if I am streaming from live source.

My question is:
If frame size of a video stream is larger than RTP packet size,  the frame has to be fragmented.
Since duration time is used to calculate the time at which the next packet is sent,
it implies that the overflow data of a frame(carried in next packets) would delay?

If so, frame rate is still suitable to be used to calculate duration time (for a video file, not live source)?

Best regards,