[Live-devel] Lost consideration about SSM on Windows XP with VS6.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 22 08:33:43 PST 2007

>Do you mean according to RFC 2326 that an RTSP server should or must
>explicitly specify whether the session is unicast or multicast (by
>providing a multicast address) rather than give the client a chance
>to choose either?

Yes.  It is always the server - not the client - that decides whether
a stream is unicast or multicast.  The "forceMulticastOnUnspecified"
hack was developed only to accommodate some unconventional servers
that always streamed multicast, but did not put the address in the
SDP description.  However, as I noted earlier, that won't work for
SSM streams.