[Live-devel] Packet loss in case of high bitrate mpeg4 elementry streams

Nitin Jain jnitin at ssdi.sharp.co.in
Mon Oct 1 06:34:40 PDT 2007

Hi all,

We are using Live555 media server and openRTSP client to stream and receive mpeg4 elementry stream.We observerd  that when we stream high bitrate MPEG4 ES stream (3 or 6 or 15 Mbps )there is a huge packet loss(almost 20% ) .From wireshark trace on server side we found out that server is dropping rtp packets. However when we
 re-encode  the same streams to low bitrate ( 1 Mbps) then there is no or very small packet loss.

We also tested high bit rate streams on private network with no cross traffic but there also high packet loss is observed.
We  also  change the  OUTPACK_BUFFERSIZE to some high value.

Please provide your feedback why it's happening or do we need to change some settings.

Thanks and Regards
Nitin