[Live-devel] Dynamic MPEG4 resolution streaming

Alvin Cheung alvin.cheung at TeleEye.com
Wed Oct 3 02:27:34 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I'm ultilizing live555 to implement a streaming server for streaming MPEG4 ES video from a MPEG4 hardware encoder.  Video is successfully send through RTP protocol started by RTSP (with SDP).  I would like to ask if there is any way I can dynamically change the video resolution from the server side and announce to all live clients without starting a new session from beginning? The purpose of this is that the server is required to adaptively change the streaming video's resolution depends on the current network condition.

Having done little research on RTSP that the "ANNOUNCE " command from server to client seems to be the right tools for this purpose.  However, many server and client software, including Live555 server and VLC player, don't have this support. Can you provide any suggestions on how to implement this?

Thank you!
Alvin