[Live-devel] /etc/hosts default for Fedora and vlc

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 07:20:43 PDT 2007

Hi!

I'm the vlc maintainer of vlc for Fedora... (rpm.livna.org)
There is currently some issue that seems related with the default
/etc/hosts file configuration used by Fedora(1)...

If I use vlc play streams (with French ISP free for example).
This lead to have:
	This computer has an invalid IP address: 0x0
And of course 127.0.0.1 is a valid ip address, but when I switch to (2),
then everything works fine...
The problem is that end-users might have problems finding the right
documentation. Does something can be done to have live555 working with
(1) by default (which seems good from the Fedora engineers point of view) .

Also, I wonder if live555 can full support ipv6?

And does gethostby* functions are used within live555 - see (3) for links...

In an other subject, I would like to know why there isn't any shared
build proposed for live555 ? One of the main improvement with shared
build for libraries are that they can use LD_PRELOAD functionality that
can speed up loading...

Nicolas (kwizart )

As I cannot read c code, some question are highly blind maintainer
question...

(1)
127.0.0.1       kwizart.localdomain     kwizart localhost.localdomain
localhost

(2)
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.1.100    kwizart.localdomain     kwizart
::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

(3): http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41334