[Live-devel] stream of audio/video separated files (corrected version)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 4 05:24:01 PDT 2007

>1.	I use the test program (openRTSP) of liveMedia, the server is
>DSS. I use the follow command line: ./openRTSP
> <rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sample_100kbit.mp4>rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sample_100kbit.mp4
>and I obtain two files: "video-MP4V-ES-1" and
>"audio-MPEG4-GENERIC-2".

Are these files both non-empty?

If these files are both empty, then that shows that you are not
receiving RTP packets from your server, most likely because you have
a firewall - between the client and the server - that is bocking RTP
packets.  In that case, either fix your firewall, or use the "-t"
option to openRTSP, to request RTP-over-TCP streaming.

>If I rename the video one with the ".m4e" extension, I can't open it
>(I use VLC player). How can I see it in local?

You can't.  VLC cannot play MPEG-4 video Elementary Stream files.

>  And at the same way, how can I open the audio one?

You can't.  VLC cannot PLAY MPEG-4 audio (AAC) Elementary Stream files.

However, VLC *should* be able to play the stream directly - i.e.,
enter the "rtsp://..." URL directly into VLC, and don't use
"openRTSP" at all.

>  I also tried to rename it as "test.aac" and stream it with
>"testOnDemandRTSP.exe" application, but it doesn't seem to work.

That won't work, because the file was not in ADTS format.

>2.	Then, I use the test program (openRTSP) of liveMedia, the
>server is DSS. I use the follow command line: ./openRTSP -4
><rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sample_100kbit.mp4>rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sample_100kbit.mp4 >
>test.mp4, but I obtain an empty file. What's wrong?

When using the "-4" option, you need to make sure that the stream
runs all the way through.  You can't just <control>-c it.  You should
also use the "-w", "-h" and "-f" options.

If you are still not receiving any data, then - as noted above - you
are probably behind a firewall.  If so, then add the "-t" option.