[Live-devel] ByteStreamFileSource

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 10 15:39:09 PDT 2007

>As an application programmer, when would I want to specify
>playTimePerFrame to ByteStreamFileSource?

When you are streaming directly from a file, by reading/streaming one
fixed-size chunk of data at a time.  This happens for many simple
audio codecs (although not for more complex audio codecs like AAC or
MP3, because their frames are typically variable-sized).  Because
you're streaming directly from the file - without any separate
intermediate 'framer' object - you need to tell the downstream
"RTPSink" object the duration and presentation time of each
(fixed-size) chunk of data that you're delivering.  Therefore, in
this case, you need to tell the "ByteStreamFileSource" the duration
of each chunk ('frame').

If, however, you are using a separate 'framer' object to parse the
file data, then you should not specify "playTimePerFrame".  Instead,
it will be up to the 'framer' object to specify the duration and
presentation time of each parsed frame.