[Live-devel] RTSP Server 'Keep Alive' support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 18 12:13:34 PDT 2007

>Further to my previous  questions on this. I'm wondering how to activate
>this feature

It is activated by default!  You already have it.  Our server does
not set the "timeout=" field in its responses (because it uses
incoming RTCP "RR" packets, as well as incoming RTSP commands, to
indicate client liveness - therefore, for our server, clients don't
need to send periodic "GET_PARAMETER" RTSP commands), but it is
activated by default.  As I noted earlier:

>  > Yes.  Note the "reclamationTestSeconds" parameter (default value, 45
>  > seconds) in "RTSPServer::createNew()".

>Is there anything I should be doing in VLC's demuxer to get mediaServer
>to use KeepAlive ?
>
>I'd previously submitted a patch to parse out the timeout value in the
>RTSPClient code. VLC checks for this value and then sets up the
>GET_PARAMETER sending function to fire every timeout-2 seconds

You don't need this with our server.  As long as VLC sends periodic
RTCP "RR" packets - which it does - then our server will use that to
indicate client liveness.

>And with no activity (vlc doesn't send RTCP "RR" packets)

Yes it does!  Where did you get the idea that it doesn't?